Sears was built between 1st and 2nd Streets at South Grand Ave. in 1950-51 to replace the downtown location at 621-23 E. Adams. The store operated at that location until April of 1977 when Sears became one of the first anchor stores at the new White Oaks Mall. In the early 1980’s, the building was renovated and became the home for the Illinois Department of Public Aid. Then in the late 1990’s the Department of Human Services was split off from DPA and began sharing the space. Now, the building is exclusively DHS offices.